The Birthday Girl Idea



I developed the 'birthday girl idea' as part of my mental preparation for the Aussie adventure. I was planning on meeting lovely people and making new friends through dancing while being out there all by myself.

However, I was quite worried I might end up standing in the corner of a dance floor alone not being seen or danced with. That idea came from my first experience dancing away from home. A little group of us Brighton dancers got some tickets to the Swing Patrol Christmas Ball in London (2014).

I was very excited about that and just blown away by the venue. The ball took place in a spacious tent with beautiful lighting, two dance floors, bars and stunning Christmas decoration. It was so impressive that it made me feel very small as I was only used to dancing upstairs in cosy pubs. I had a couple of warm up dances with some of my friends but they were all more experienced than me and disappeared sooner or later onto the dance floor to explore new dancers.
                                                     
I looked around and everyone was dressed so smart or beautifully and all I could see was very experienced dancers everywhere. Now and then one of my friends popped back to the table and encouraged me with the words: “Come on! Go and ask somebody! That's how it works :-)!”

Easier said than done! 

I looked around and tried to spot somebody who was not on the way to the busy dance floor, in deep conversation with someone or sitting on a chair looking rather relaxed.

There weren't many good set ups like that around but there he was! A lead standing by the dance floor all alone, looking very much in dancing mood, even bouncing slightly to the music. I pushed myself as hard as I could and started walking towards him. One … two … three steps … almost there when out of nowhere this stylish looking follower popped up right next to him on the other side.

He turned around to her, nodded and they made their way to the dance floor. To avoid being caught coming from the other side, I sheepishly turned around as quickly as possible and headed back to the safe table pretending I had forgotten my drink!
Despite that ‘setback’, I still had a really good night and loved the Swing Patrol performances as well (I made it a plan then to look them up as soon as I’d get to Melbourne), but I wasn't very impressed with myself by the way I’d handled the ‘finding a dance situation’. To be fair, I was offered a dance twice, collected one compliment about my dress and did manage to grab that very same lead for a dance after all. However, this can't really be called smooth!

So I came up with the ‘birthday girl idea’. A badge! That’s it! Saying: “It’s my birthday, please dance with me!”

If I stood in a corner alone wearing that, there was no way people wouldn't notice! Somebody would come up to me to wish a happy birthday and ask for a dance! Good plan in case I didn't manage to leave the corner ;-).

When the badge eventually arrived I couldn't believe it. I can't remember what it was called when I ordered it but it was the size above ‘huge’ as I didn’t want it to be too small. Well, that’s exactly what it was … the size above huge! 
Anyone from a kilometer away could have
easily read it!

Of course I then couldn't figure out where to attach the badge and still be able to still dance comfortably … not so easy for a girl ;-)) ... so I decided against taking it in the end and before I left Brighton I left it as a present for a special friend to guarantee him the birthday dance I wouldn't be able to provide.

In the end I almost managed to get a smaller version of a birthday badge. My lovely Kiwi friend designed one especially to go with that one dress I took travelling. He ordered it in New Zealand from the States and it was sent to Aussie for me (wow! modern day technology J!) Unfortunately it got a little delayed and I also never found some social dancing on my actual birthday. Therefore I’ll keep it safe for next year.


Read more about how you'd never need such badge going social dancing in Melbourne :-).














: