Christchurch Swing Festival - The Final Day

Sunday arrived quite quickly and started with one hour sleep in for everyone to be ready for the first class at 11am. I’m sure everyone could do with that extra hour after all that dancing but nobody was too tired for more :-).

My schedule included two more ‘all lindy level classes’ with some good variations on swing outs. There were also blues classes and aerial classes happening in the other room, which people got very excited about. For this festival I had decided to focus on my basic Lindy Hop but listening to some conversations I’ll so give blues a go. From what I heard the Melbourne teachers did quite well and must have given really good classes on that.

The very last class on the list was called ‘soft shoe for lindy hoppers’, and was held by Tina. What a great class :-)! Tina explained beautifully that it wasn’t a tap dancing class as she was not an actual tap dancing teacher. Soft shoe dancing is a related to stap dancing but danced in soft-soled shoes, the way tap dancing actually started. Tina did a real good job teaching different steps and slights. Everyone had a lot of fun. I’m not sure if it’s possible to not enjoy Tina’s classes. She always brings so much positive energy into them and time just flies by. 

The very last event was the ‘black and white Sunday Night’ at the ‘Boo Radley's’, a real nice bar with yummy food on the menu. It had the perfect atmosphere for the night with only a little light and a cosy setup. Half the place was booked for us.

Pretty much everyone got there early and had some dinner. The tables were there to eat when people arrived and were then moved off the actual dance floor for the night to start.

Not long after I arrived it was time for my volunteer shift. That meant sitting for a whole 30 minutes by the door to say hello to people and send all swing dancers to the left and all non-dancers to the right. Isn’t it lovely that so many people signed up to volunteer that it got a little tricky to fit everyone in. I was very happy about the 30 minutes for which I earned my volunteer chocolate .

After a few warm up dances the band arrived and the evening could begin. The atmosphere turned all mellow with the first tone of the music. The 'Devilish Mary and the Holy Rollers' were just amazing!


All dancers looked really smart in black and white and fitted the ambience perfectly. I got the vibe that everyone was just relaxed and enjoying the music and the dance. Having warmed up all weekend the dancing looked really smooth all around me. That’s at least what I was thinking while holding my glass of white wine watching the dance floor :-). 

The big acknowledgement speech was not left out of course :-). Appreciation was given from the organisers to the teachers and everyone else. Then back from the teachers to the organisers and from everyone to everyone with a long warm applause. Well deserved :-)!!



I’d never danced blues before. To be honest when I’d watched people or heard the music, I never really felt like this was for me as it was so slow. 

Having watched the really good blues dancers during the championships left me quite impressed though and when I was asked that night to dance ‘blues’ I just gave it a go. It kind of helped when I was assured I could not make any mistakes :-).

I just went along with it in between the lindy hop and need to say I really enjoyed it and couldn’t have felt more relaxed and better by the end of the evening.

What a perfect last night, what a perfect weekend :-)! Thanks so much Swingtown Rebels Christchurch! I had the best time!

: